Saturday, December 6, 2008

"You're Outta Here!!"

Two of my boys are in T-ball this year. It has been so much fun to watch them play this summer. Their little bodies cannot hardly contain the excitement of being able to play baseball...IN A UNIFORM!! I love to hear them first thing in the morning, "Do we have a game today?" Then 3 hours before practice, "Can I put on my uniform now?" When they get up to bat, they have the face of a rough tough burly ball player. I love watching their games.
Today, as always, they were very excited about their game. David is usually up to bat first, it took him a couple of innings to get on base, but he did hit the ball. (T-ball) The first inning, Joey was in the outfield, a ball was hit, and Joey faked like he tagged someone out. He didn't know you were not supposed to do that...he had never been told, but it is a rule. He got THROWN OUT OF THE GAME!! There he sat on the bench the rest of the game. The hardest part of the whole ordeal, was knowing how excited he had been FOR DAYS about the game, only to sit there the whole time. I decided when we signed the boys up, I would not get emotionally involved when the coaches coached my boys. If they got yelled at, I would not get upset. If their coach got on to them about something, I would be thankful they were learning to be men. This was a hard one today. When Joey said to me, "Mom, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that." I just told him, "well you know now for next time." I think some things have to be learned the hard way. Following rules, even rules you don't know, you must learn them. It isn't easy watching your children learn things, by being left out, or hurt in some way. I think though, that the lesson learned will never be forgotten. Joey will forever remember the day he got thrown out of his t-ball game. And so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.