Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Stow-a-way

Having 5 children, it seems there is always something going on. Lately, we've been dealing with allergy issues in this area for our newest little one. As the fussiness got worse, I felt like she probably was fighting off an infection of some sort, so off to the Doctor I went.

It wasn't that I was really in a hurry. I was actually only running a couple of minutes behind. Does it really make a difference, when you have to sit in a waiting room forever anyways??

Halfway to the office, I hear something in the van. I turned around to see my 5 year old David, grinning from ear to ear. Ok, so maybe it would've been cute, adorable, flattering even that he wanted to be with me...EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT HE HAD dirty play clothes, dirt on his face, and no shoes. Charming? That was not the word I was thinking of.

I was slightly annoyed that I had a stow-a-way to deal with. And a barefoot stow-a-way at that. What was I going to do? I couldn't go back home. I couldn't leave him in the van? So I called my sister, who told me to just take him with me in the office, bare feet and all.

And that is just what I did. As the Doctor looked over Ellie he asked, "And who do we have here?" I then relayed my story, a little annoyed still. The grandfatherly doctor laughed, opened a drawer, looked at David with a smile on his face and said, "Hey ya want a sucker?" as he tossed it over, "how bout a sticker too?" Thanks a lot.

Lesson learned by the little guy: stow-a-ways get suckers and stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.